The Bautex Block wall is a screen-grid insulated concrete wall forming (ICF) system that creates a grid of closely spaced vertical and horizontal concrete members within a continuously insulated wall. While the Bautex Block itself is not a load-bearing element of the system, the screen-grid concrete structure within the wall is the primary load-bearing exterior wall assembly for many projects.
In other cases, Bautex can be used as a secondary structural system or building envelope solution in conjunction with another structural system such as structural steel and poured concrete frames.
How are Bautex Walls Designed?
The structural design of any building utilizing the Bautex Block Wall System must always be completed by a structural engineer licensed in the state where the project will be located. There are two primary methods to determine the structural design parameters for a project:
Prescriptive Design (Theoretical Method):
The prescriptive design method uses generally accepted engineering practices, such as slender column theories in ACI 318, to calculate the design of the concrete elements within the Bautex Block walls.
Hybrid Design (3D Modeling Method):
The hybrid design method uses generally accepted engineering practices and 3D modeling software to individually analyze and design Bautex Block walls. The 3D modeling method allows the engineer to account for project specific details and to analyze the interaction between different elements. Using an understanding of the interaction of different elements, including jambs, pilasters and perpendicular walls, the 3D modeling method allows designs that are not provided for in the prescriptive design tables.
DELEGATED ENGINEERING DESIGN
Bautex provides Structural Engineers of Record all the design tools and technical support required to quickly and efficiently design walls using the Bautex Wall System. In some cases, however, engineers may elect to delegate the design of the Bautex walls for a project to third-party engineers. Bautex has developed relationships with a network of engineering firms that will provide these services for a variety of building types, including projects that require windstorm engineering.
To request delegated engineering design services, please complete this form and return to us.
Typical Services Provided
- Structural designs for the portions of the project that include Bautex Block walls, including interior, exterior, load-bearing and non load-bearing walls.
- Details for connection of the walls to the roof framing and intermediate floor framing.
- Lintel and beam locations and details, if needed.
- Design does NOT include any structural steel, wood members, the foundation, or any other member except the Bautex Block walls.
- Final wall system plans and details ready for permitting and construction will be in PDF format.
- Engineering design per the applicable building code for the project.
- Field observations by an engineer available at an additional cost.